Homework provides the opportunity for students to consolidate their classroom learning, and to create a pattern of behaviour for lifelong learning beyond the classroom. Homework invites parents and carers into the learning experiences of their child. Setting homework takes into consideration the need for students to maintain a balanced lifestyle. This includes sufficient time for family, recreation, cultural events and employment where appropriate.
Homework is a means of enabling students to develop sound work habits. Close monitoring within the Junior Secondary Phase of learning is therefore particularly important as these habits are developed. Each student at Moranbah State High School is issued a student diary, to assist them in recording and managing the completion of homework. CARE teachers are responsible for checking that students are using their diary correctly, and we encourage parents and carers to review the student diary regularly.
The benefits of homework include:
- Developing thinking, concentration, time management and research skills
- Building· self-discipline, personal responsibility and independent action
- Providing parents and carers with opportunities to work with children on assignments and class work
- Providing parents and carers insights into the school's programs of instruction.
- Students achieve greater results when they identify parental involvement in their learning.
- Student successes that result from greater focus on class work achieved through homework, develop positive attitudes in students towards themselves and others
- Introducing students to the realities of post-secondary study and the world of work
- Reinforcing and extending classroom learning.
The success of students completing homework relies on the combined efforts of the student, parents and the teacher. To this end, teachers will notify parents/carers where students establish a pattern of defaulting on homework, and will support parents/carers in maintaining open channels of communication.
At Moranbah State High School:
- Each student will be assigned homework in each subject on a regular basis
- Homework consists of a variety of activities including preparation for practical lessons, assignments, revision of class work, reading text and reference material, revision for examinations, and tasks set in preparation for the next lesson
- The amount of homework will vary according to the age and learning needs of the student
- Teachers will be responsible for reviewing homework for every student.